Cosmetic Dentistry in Toronto
As your Toronto dentist, we recommend regular checkups and cleanings.
Checkups and Cleanings
A cleaning, sometimes referred to as a prophylaxis, or prophy, includes scaling to remove plaque, calculus and stain from the visible portion of teeth. At Blatt Family Dentistry, our dental hygiene team will take great care to ensure your safety by using strict sterilization controls, educating you on your particular oral concerns and providing you with instruction as needed to keep your mouth healthy. Dental cleanings help prevent gum (periodontal) disease, a chronic inflammation and infection of the gums and surrounding tissue caused by plaque (bacteria). If plaque isn’t removed each day by brushing and flossing, it hardens into a rough, porous substance called calculus (also known as tartar).
Take-home teeth whitening kits provide more permanent results over a longer time scale, whereas in-office teeth whitening offers immediate results. A combination of the two provides the perfect solution for both immediate and long-term whitening results. For heavily stained teeth, a procedure as simple as a scale and polish from by one of our dental hygienists can significantly improve your appearance.
In addition to your cleaning, the hygienist or one of our dentists may:
- Examine diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. x-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Perform an oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Evaluate your gum disease status: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examine tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examine existing dental restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Learn the importance of regular oral maintenance for children.